As with the old film darkroom, taking a picture is only part of the process – you also need to know how to edit images to get the most from them in the ‘digital darkroom.’ Here are some of the more common errors to watch […]
My Mission Statement
I don’t just take pictures – I create them. I am only as good as my last image and my best photograph is yet to be taken so always aspiring to exceed my reputation: a fantastic portrait photographer producing astonishing photographs – Auckland wide.
How do I achieve that? By pushing the boundaries and creating special rapport with my clients, by thinking outside the box to create truly inspiring images and engaging with everyone until there are sparks in the air! My commitment is to be innovative in creating images that evoke deep emotions – portraits with enduring quality. My dream is to make the world a better place. My humble contribution is to build your family legacy by creating beautiful portrait photos on your wall which will last a life time. My goal is simple: to leave a lasting impression with stunning images; to impress you with the best professional photography and bring joy to your home. Here is why you should choose me!
Honours & Awards, Certifications & Publications
- Gold FIAP medal: the Photo Association of Serbia had 1,344 images submitted for the Nature category by 340 photographer from 56 countries. With 85 national members associations, Fédération Internationale de l’Art Photographique’ (the International Federation of Photographic Art) is comprising of more than one million individual photographers. Founded in 1946, FIAP purpose is the promotion of photographic art worldwide.
- Will be awarded the distinction [APSNZ] Associate of the Photographic Society of New Zealand. I Submitted a portfolio of 12 portraits to the PSNZ Honours Board in applying for the distinction. From April 26 I will be able to use the letters APSNZ after my name.
- The Shirley Peverill Memorial Trophy with a Gold medal for the Best Photojournalism Print for my image ‘The Scholar‘. The Nelson Camera Club is organising the PSNZ National Exhibition 2014 in association with the Marlborough Camera Club which is hosting the 62nd National Convention: Natex.
- Featured inside a double spread in the New Zealand Herald [April 11, 2014 paper edition] together with three other photographers from Auckland!
- North Shore National Salon of Photography: Two Bronze medals, one Highly Commended & nine Acceptance
- Natex: Four Selected Awards
- NZIPP Iris Awards: One Silver Distinction, six Silver and one Bronze award.
- Awarded the distinction Master of The NZIPP
- NZIPP: Finalist Portrait Classic Category
- NZIPP: Finalist Portrait Creative Category
- AIPP APPA: Two Silver and one Silver Distinction
- D-Photo magazine: featured in a three double spread article inside this prestigious magazine!
- North Shore National Salon of Photography: Two Bronze medals, one Honours & nine Acceptance NZIPP Iris Awards: One Silver Distinction, two Silver and five Bronze awards
- NZIPP Accredited Member
- Awarded the distinction Associate of The NZIPP
- North Shore National Salon of Photography: One Bronze and one Silver medal
- NZIPP Iris Awards: five Bronze awards.
- NZIPP: Qualified as a Portrait Photographer.
Wow Photography is a family business: my son Ofek is the brains behind this website, my daughter Noa is pushing the right buttons and posing as Ballet dancer, my wife Hadas keeps me on track and I simply shoot …
Traveling extensively as a child, I spent a few years in Turkey and in Iran where I got my first plastic camera for my seventh birthday: a simple device which was great for early experimentation in black and white film with limited success but lots of passion. At the age of 16 I met my first photography mentor Tim Keating who nurtured my emerging talent and appointed me Year Book editor at the International School Bangkok. My reputation as a talented photographer quickly grew after graduating with High Distinction in Photography.
My early inspirations came from viewing black and white masterpieces by Ansel Adams. Also influential were repeated visits to New York, during which time I not only enjoyed the great art museums but also documented the bustling street life of Manhattan. Robert Mapplethorpe and Henri Cartier-Bresson were among my earlier influences. I also admire the amazing photos of Dorothea Lang, Walker Evans and Steve McCurry. I am now focusing on family photos, pregnancy photography and baby photos as well as portrait photography. Other famous photographers include: Peter Coulson, Dan Winters and Joel Grimes, as well as Tony Drayton, Alexia Sinclair and Craig Potton.
My strengths in IT [B.Sc and MBA] led to a successful corporate career as a business analyst, where I worked on a number of key international projects both in Israel and in NZ. My young family moved to Auckland in 2001 after a successful and inspiring four week farm-stay tour around New Zealand. After settling in the North Shore, the family quickly integrated into the NZ way of life and social fabric. I became a volunteer teacher at a community Sunday school, coaching basketball and had been sitting on the Board of a community centre.
I am an active member of the North Shore Photographic Society where I present my images on a regular basis. In 2010 I won the bronze medal in the Architecture section of the North Shore National Salon of Photography with the image ‘Britomart One’. In 2011 I won a silver medal in the set subject Power with the image ‘The Tower’. This is also when I joined New Zealand Institute of Professional Photography [nzipp] to win five bronze in the prestigious nzipp Iris Professional Photography Awards 2011. These images demonstrate high standard of professional practice, craft and skill and are important recognition by my fellow photographers. In 2012 I won twelve awards with North Shore National Salon of which two are Bronze and one is Honours in the categories Open Color, Open Monochrome, The Family of Man, Abstract and Urban Environment. Please see the Awards gallery to see some of my best photographs.
2010 is when I left my IT career to commit myself and follow my dream of building my photographic practice, to realise my creative passion and my long-held ambition to be a lifestyle photographer. I have recently been very fortunate to attend the NZIPP Master Class with Sue Bryce on posing contemporary portrait as well as an outstanding Fusion class with Steve & Jan Bebb.
I love taking pictures of people and watching their expression when they get to see their images. My talent lies in capturing the spirit of the moment in people’s lives, establishing a quick rapport with my clients, enabling them to feel comfortable and relaxed when posing for a portrait so they look gorgeous:)
I love using unconventional and unique angles, capturing details of man-made artifacts, producing clean and outstanding images for commercial purposes and fine art – see more of my work in this gallery.
- See more at: http://ilanwittenberg.com/about/#sthash.4pTOlNm7.dpuf
After many years as a keen amateur photographer, I decided to start a small landscape photography business called Lakescenes which I ran alongside my main job as an IT Manager. As business increased, I found myself working long, but rewarding, hours just to keep up […]
Rob Sheppard is a naturalist, nature photographer and videographer who says his favorite location is the one he is in at any time. He is the author/photographer of over 40 books, as well as a well-known speaker and workshop leader, and a Fellow with the […]
Gary Hart has photographed California’s natural beauty for over 30 years. Gary’s photos and writing have appeared in many publications, most recently Outdoor Photographer and Sierra Heritage magazines. You’ll also find his images in greeting cards, postcards, calendars, and many galleries and private collections throughout the world.
Originally from Poland, based in London UK, Jaroslav has background in Fine Arts, degree in Architecture, and wide array of experience. Being an Architect taught him how to be resourceful and to solve complex problems with simple, yet innovative solutions. Constant passion for graphic & […]
Use a wide-angle lens to add some humor to your images. Superwide-angle lenses practically force you to create wacky images, simply by letting you cram so many elements into the picture. It can be a blast to use them to distort perspective. But there are […]
We asked portraits pros to share their best tactics for framing up a subject. Many decisions go into shooting a single portrait. Often, as we chat with our subjects, we’re not even aware that we’re making choices about framing, subject distance and position, color palette, […]